Pages

Friday, July 25, 2008

Birthday cakes and other bakes... recipes


My pal Naomi, her other half Mark & their little boy Josh all moved to Devon yesterday :(

It hasn't really sunk in yet that they've gone... I expect that will happen over the next few weeks... More cake was needed to ease the sorrows so a variation of the chocolate cake was created. We all had a piece cut with a spoon as I forgot to take a knife out with me! Shortly after Lisa noticed I was coming out in horrendous hives... they look and itch like nettle rash. Unfortunately it seems I have developed an allergy to chocolate... arrgh! I had suspected it for a while (due to the regular appearance of hives) but was resistant to accepting it... So I went cold turkey on the chocolate only to discover that chocolate wasn't the only culprit... and have had to stop eating cheese and citrus fruit as well. What's going on?!?! until a few months ago I ate all of them without a problem... sigh... no more cheesecake either... sob...! Right I feel a bit better to get that out of my system... so onto the recipes :)



Chocolate cake/ Chocolate orange cake...

(my personalised/ammended version of the chocolate mud cake recipe found in Jane Price's guide to cake decorating)


Ingredients will make a 7 inch square or a 8 inch round cake




  • 190g/6oz unsalted butter

  • 190g/6oz dark chocolate/orange dark chocolate

  • 140ml/5fl oz water

  • 110g/3 1/2oz self raising flour

  • 110g/3 1/2oz plain (all purpose) flour

  • 40g/1 1/2oz cocoa powder

  • 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda

  • 420g/14oz caster sugar

  • 3 very large eggs

  • 6 tsp vegetable oil

  • 95mls/3fl oz buttermilk


Method

  • Put the chocolate, butter & water in a pan over a low heat and stir gently until everything is melted... being careful not overheat it & remove the pan from heat as soon as everything is combined.

  • Sift flours, cocoa powder & bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Stir in the caster sugar & make a well in the middle. Add the melted chocolate/butter/water, buttermilk, eggs & oil to the flours etc and stir until completely combined.

  • Pour into your desired greased/baking parchment lined tin and pop into a pre heated oven at 160C/315F/gas mark 2~3 for about 1hr 40mins. My oven cooked it about 10mins quicker as my cake tin has very thin walls and cooks very fast. You can test whether the cake is done... towards the end of the baking time.. by inserting a skewer into the middle of the cake. If it comes out clean... not with gloopy mix on it... it is most likely ready!


Leave your chocolate cake to cool completely then generously fill and top with either the.....

The White chocolate & sour cream icing from her cappuccino cupcakes in How to be a domestic goddess by Nigella Lawson & after applying icing to cake... dust it with a tiny bit of cocoa powder.

Or go for serious chocolate overload with dark chocolate ganache in Nigella Lawson's Feast

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness that is the worst allergy to have!! I'm so sorry! *shudder*

    ReplyDelete